Ahhh…yes. That musty smell, those unsightly splotches. You’re finally starting to suspect that you might have a mold problem. But should you be concerned? And what should you do about it?
Mold is a serious issue, so yes, you should be concerned! Not only is mold very destructive to the materials in your house, it can have harmful health effects, even on previously healthy individuals. Those with more fragile immune systems are even more at risk.
Mold spores are actually present in all environments. However some conditions allow mold to grow and multiply. So what causes mold to grow?
Leaks are a common instigator of mold growth. Many leaks go unnoticed when they are under sinks or toilets, behind bathtubs or in crawlspaces.
If you’ve experienced flooding that did not dry out within 24-48 hours, mold can result, especially if porous surfaces such as drywall were effected.
– High humidity
Say your bathroom gets put through 4 showers daily and you don’t have or don’t use your bathroom fan. The humidity in the bathroom may stay elevated, providing mold the conditions needed to thrive.
– Poor drainage
Many times, rainwater will run along your yard, into your crawlspace and stay there due to poor drainage and grading.
You’ve probably noticed a connection: water. Yes, it is inadequately dealing with water, moisture or humidity in our living environments that gives rise to mold growth.
There are many other examples through which water or humidity can lead to mold growth in your home. If you’re concerned you may have a problem, call on a professional such as myself to help you determine the cause, so that you can put an end to your mold problems and protect both your investment and your health.
• • •