Were you a lit major, or just an avid reader? Did it ever seem odd to you that there are so many literary references to madness in the 18th century? Edgar Allan Poe’s work is full of it, of course, and then there’s the archetypal madwoman in the attic.

In McKay Jenkins “What’s Gotten Into Us“, he speaks with toxicologist Albert Donnay, who suggests that all this madness was actually due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Why? The widespread use of natural gas lighting in homes in the 1800’s.

Carbon Monoxide can cause brain damage… which might have been interpreted as madness in those cases.

Do you have risks for Carbon Monoxide poisoning in your home? Read below to learn what you need to know.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s